Saturday, April 17, 2010

ESL

This morning I received the following email. It's from a foreign language student who's concerned about the material on the 'review sheet.' At least, that what I'm hoping he was trying to write.

Dear Professor,

Hey I am sorry to bother you. I lost my review shit and I do not remember how much of the new information and old information is coming in the test. If I am correct I need to study everything. Is that correct?


And once again I'm reminded of my experience in Thailand, wondering how many time I said similarly offensive things and people were too embarassed to point them out to me. When you're a cultural outsider you can get away with a lot.

1 comment:

Nate Kendra Olsen said...

OK This story hits so close to home with the Sam Cluff family. When we lived in Chihuahua Chihuahua Mexico a missionary once asked Lillian for a shit of paper……. Now that was funny! Camille and I made so many mistakes (and I’m sure more that we don’t know of) One of our family favorites is when Camille told her classmate she was reading The Diarrhea of Ann Frank instead of The Diary of Ann Frank. It was also fun for us because we helped students with their English papers. Another time Camille was proofreading an essay and for the conclusion the student wrote “Overcoat” instead of summing it up with “Overall” Soooo cute and great times for us! Love this post!
-Kendra