Thursday, November 18, 2010

Pale Green Pants

One of my favorite things to do as a mom is read to my kids. With each one I have read to them from birth. Shane use to tease me when I read to Jake as a tiny infant. He didn't think it could possibly make a difference when Jake could barely open his eyes. Once Jake (at a very early age) proved that he loved books, Shane did not tease again. I wanted one of their earliest memories to be of books. Both Jake and Meg love books. They don't just love books, they adore books, they can't get enough of them. To be honest their reading comprehension is much better than mine. They are always quoting random facts and when I ask where they learned it from, 90% of the time it has come from their reading. They are amazing and I hope that Luke will follow in their footsteps. I think he just might.

After lunch each day Luke and I sit in our reading chair. It is a very comfy chair and pleasing to the eye.(At least mine anyway) Luke grabs a blanket and a pile of books and we read until nap time. It's probably his favorite part of the day, aside from hockey, wrestling and snacking. His favorite book for several months now has been a book about a mischievous little puppy named BISCUIT. A darling book for a 2 year old boy. His new favorite book caught me by surprise. You wouldn't think it would be a favorite but it has now become Luke's. Some of you might remember this story from Dr. Seuss. it's called "What was I Scared of?" It's an odd tale of a pair of pale green pants with no one inside them. I thought a very odd thing to write about but Luke loves it. I'm not sure he quite understands it but he loves the fact that these pants, with no one inside them is chasing the Dr. Seuss character.




An excerpt:

I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them, But I lied them.

I'm almost sad to think of Luke learning to read, then our reading time in our very comfy chair will be over. For now I'll take every chance I get to read to my little Lukey. He won't be little much longer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the photo if Luke- so cute!! Rach

camfox said...

I love this post. I so agree. I love reading with my little ones, and now my older two are avid readers, and it makes me so happy. That Luke is sure a cute boy Kadi.

Natalie@Endless Crafting said...

What a cute post Kaddi..I've done the same thing with my kids and it's my favorite thing to do with them. They are quiet and snuggling next to me. Madison is in that why, why, why mom stage so while I'm trying to read now she is constantly asking why..it takes forever to get through books so our stack is getting smaller! haha