Thursday, January 25, 2007

Why I hate Grey's Anatomy:

As part of what will undoubtedly be a life-long pursuit of redemption for bring Kaddi to Thailand, I not only purchased a season of Grey's Anatomy, I also sit down and watch many of the episodes with her. There's only one way to fight back the humiliation I feel from knowing characters and plotlines from the show...by writing a scathing 3-point critique.

Why I hate Grey's Anatomy (and you should too)....


1) It's 'Ally McBeal' in a hospital:

I mean, really - haven't we seen this show before? A troupe of young, good looking, urban professionals who are somehow at the top of their game even though they do nothing at work but gather in the halls to whine about their failed relationships, or flirt with each other in the co-ed changerooms, or sit on the stairwell looking depressed while some (horribly written) inner monoluge drones on. Even during their off-hours all they can think to do is hang-out with each other at a bar across the street from the hospital. I've always wondered why does it take me eight hours to see a doctor when I show up at emergency care? Now I know it's because they're all in the supply closet performing exploratory surgery.

2) Medical Narcissism:

At Seattle Sacred...whatever, they are single handedly pushing society towards enlightenment one surgery at a time. Surgeons are like gods, constantly congratulating themselves on their ability to stave off death. There's nothing the surgeons can't fix, whether it be re-attaching an ankle or convincing empty-nest parents that it's time to let their wheelchair-bound daughter have a life of her own. The doctor always knows best. People who don't accept the diagnosis are backward, or worse - religious.

3) Dr. McDreamy

This is the 21st century sensitive hetero-male? We're only in the middle of the second season, but let's see if I've got the story right so far...

His wife cheats on him with his best friend and he tries to escape the pain by relocating from Manhattan to Seattle. There he broods and simmers, so wounded by his wife's infidelity that he waits an entire three weeks before jumping into to bed with his intern, the fake-Renee Zelwegger. Just as this adulterous relationship is peaking he re-discovers the importance of his wedding vows and goes back to his wife, who he can't stand to be around, and immediately begins pining for his intern. He's a relationship hurricane in a turtleneck, leaving nothing but human wreckage in his path. But oh - those smoldering eyes!

Patrick Dempsey should have stayed in movies. It's still not to late to shoot a sequel to Can't Buy Me Love!

4 comments:

Kelly said...

I could recommend a great show for you. Oh, wait, I already have. What wouldn't you love about a Canadian playing a larger than life American hero? Come on, Stretch. You know you'd relate to him.

Anonymous said...

This has to be your most controversial posting yet!
JB

Jamie said...

I'm with Kelly, you should be getting caught up on 24! Highly recommended, Steve and I both enjoy it. On the otherhand, only I enjoy Grey's Anatomy... it must be a chick thing. My favorite episode is still the bomb episode in the second season!

Steve Schaefer said...

Shane,

Just so you know I have stopped watching Grey's Anatomy with Jamie for months now. I TOTALLY agree with you about the show. I loved your line about her being "the fake-Renee Zelwegger". It 5% medicine and 95% soap opera. TOTAL chick show.

Dude, listen to me now..
24 is the best action TV show I have EVER seen, it is INCREDIBLE... do what you have to do and buy the first 5 seasons, you will LOVE IT. I know you can get them on the street just like I can in South America for $1 per season. DO IT MACK STRATE. Trust in the ROCK STAR. Go now my son, discover your true self, behold 24.

Out