Saturday, May 10, 2008

May-ggie Scrumptios Day

(A post by Kaddi)

May Day Extravaganza

It is that time of year when elementary schools in the U.S. put on their end of the year musical programs. I have been especially excited for Jake and Megs May Day performance because since the very first day that we arrived here in Hawaii I have heard wonderful things about the elementary May Day program. Today was the day. The kids had to get up very early this morning so that we could get them to school to prepare their costumes and make-up. Meg has been talking about this event for weeks now. She was constantly wanting me to watch her dance, but I tried to get her to save a little for a surprise.

Shane was not able to go to the program b/c he had a lecture to give at the exact time of the performance, so Luke and I were on our own. Most of the elementary schools in Hawaii would be performing their May Day programs in hot and crowed gyms or school cafeterias, but since we live in Laie our kids were able to perform at the PCC (Polynesian Cultural Center). It has a wonderful stage with lights, sounds, special effects and waterfalls. As I sat in my seat with Luke I teared up as I always do when my kids are involved in something like this. This moment was a marker in the countdown to the end of the school year. I am always sad at the thought of my children moving on. I want them to stay young and innocent forever. Jake will be in sixth grade next year-the end to his elementary career, then he will embark on the dreaded journey to jr. high. Meg will be in the third grade, I hope that her excitement for life will continue with each passing year.

Before the show began I had a little talk with Luke. I knew that if he got upset I would not have Shane there to pass him off to and it would be just my luck that he would squeal right at the time of Jake or Megs number. He was actually very cooperative. He ate, slept, slobbered and then ate again. He was very good, except for the fact that some of my film footage is a little shaky due to Luke trying to capture the camera and slobber all over it. I did the best I could and actually got some great pictures and movie moments.

Megs class and the other second graders represented New Zealand. For weeks Meg has been very excited but at the same time fretting over her poi ball routine. In typical Meg fashion right after the show was over she was so sad that it was through and wanted to perform again. Jakes fifth grade represented the Cook Islands. Jake was not as enthused. A girl in Jakes class was sick and was not able to perform and I commented that it was sad that she would miss the performance. Jake thought she was lucky and described how terrible it was to have to wait and watch the other performers until his classes turn. The show was quite the success and lived up to what I had been told. The costumnes were very ellaborate with feathers and jewelery. All the children were very adorable and I was sad that Shane had to miss this moment.

As I sat there and watched the show I couldn't help but feel greatful for this experience that we have had here. WE've had difficult moments but also wonderful moments too. I was so proud of Jake and Meg for continuing to travel to and fro making their best effort to fit in and make friends where ever we are. They amaze me and make me so very, very proud. sniff, sniff.

Sit back and enjoy our May Day.

(Editor's Note: Here are some clips from Meg's performance. Jake's dance and others pictures will follow.)

No comments: