Thursday, July 10, 2008

So what's your dissertation about?

For years I have been practicing how to answer that question. Every conversation with a friend or relative inevitable turns to that topic, and I am forced once again to stumble my way through a shoddy explanation. The reaction is always the same. The face betrays a combination of confusion and boredom, followed by a half-hearted, "That sounds interesting."


Next subject.


I certainly can't blame them. These are all intelligent people. They didn't understand my explanation because I didn't understand it. I knew the questions I was asking, I just didn't have the language to formulate a dissertation into a refrigerator magnet. It's like taking four hundred gallons of sea water and trying to distill it into a single glass of drinkable water.

But today I had a breakthrough.

My dissertation explores nationalism. (For those of you who don't have a copy of Ben Anderson on your nightstand, nationalism involves the study of how groups of people imagine themselves as having things in common with other groups of people. We are a nation because we share common traits. These can be a common language, religion, ethnicity, or political philosophy.)

In Thailand, historians have always credited two institutions with creating a sense of community: Buddhism and the monarchy. I will argue that a third factor has been overlooked - the collective memory of national humiliation.

Thailand's loss of territory to French imperialism created deep scars on the national psyche. These act like traumatic childhold memories that can cause re-lapses and influence behavior later on (ie. the current political crisis over Preah Vihear).

Collective memories of victimhood form an integral part of what it means to be 'Thai'. The communal sense of resentment and bitterness towards the west provides an additional sense of cohesion to an otherwise diverse group of people. It also means that a country which was never colonized is afflicted by a post-colonial mindset.

So there it is - my future contribution to knowledge. Not as ground-breaking as Orientalism or the Bush Doctrine, but hopefully good enough to get a diploma and one day...a job.

8 comments:

Rachael said...

That sounds interesting :)

Anonymous said...

Interesting indeed. So you're going to psychoanalyze an entire nation... good luck with that.

Seriously though, how do you turn Thai pride about never being colonized (and Thai pride in general) into a culture of humiliation? Further, won't you also have to explain Thailand's close ties to the US, especially during the Viet Nam war? Why the favorable attitude towards America if they resent the West? I know Thais bristle when put in a power-play, but there's no denying their good relationship with the US and their generally welcoming attitude towards Americans (and the occasional Canadian).

PS when does one of McCain's gaffes get a spot on your blog? One might begin to question your political objectivity... I'd hate to think that you're just a fanboy like the rest of the anti-Obama types.

m-strat said...

During the Preah Vihear dispute of 1958-1962, certain Thai pundits made the case that in some ways Thailand had suffered more than other nations as a result of its contact with imperialism.

In 1800 mainland SEA was split between the empires of Burma, Vietnam, and Siam. Burma and Vietnam were colonized, but eventually received back all their territory during decolonization. Siam was not colonized, but never regained former vassals of the Lao states or Cambodia.

The dissertation won't try to argue Thailand was a 'colonized' country that hates the west. Only that there is a flip-side to the history of non-colonization that involves resentment and humiliation.

heathermommy said...

This actually does sound interesting, Shane. Congratulations on the breakthrough. I'm sure it comes as a huge relief. The other day I was trying to remember what my thesis was about. I couldn't. I guess I should go dust it off and take a look!

Anonymous said...

Interesting indeed, and perhaps telling of your childhood. Where does this notion of 'humiliation' come from? The only psychoanlaysis I can percieve relates back to a young boy, trapped at his elementary school desk with a 'puddle' under it. Humiliation is when you can't blame everything on the snow melting off your winter boots.

Eeeer-eeer-err-ereere!!

S

Anonymous said...

"R-2-D-2, where are you?!"

"squeak,squeak,squeak-squeak!"

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for you guys to come up to Canada!!! Would you hurry up already!! Rach

Anonymous said...

dear blogger,
I'm interested in the thai nationlism aspect of your research. is there a way i can learn more about it?

khmerlander@gmail.com