Saturday, October 04, 2008

When the family gets together

A few more observations from last weekend:

My parents drove down with my sister Angela's family in their minivan. They called me in the late afternoon to tell me they had arrived and were enjoying some ice cream at Dairy Cream. When I walked down the hill to meet them, I noticed they were sitting outside at a table. They had the doors of the mini-van open and the stereo was blasting early eighties rap.

I just kept walking.

After the baptism we had Meg's confirmation meeting with just our own family. Even someone as callous as myself had to admit there was a very warm feeling in the room. I was especially touched to see my cousin's wife on the back row with tears in her eyes. Later I learned she was upset because the Gators lost.

We returned home for the big family meal. When that was over I was shocked to hear my parents tell me they were going to the mall. It was Saturday, but it still felt so wrong.

My dad has developed an unhealthy fascination with Sonic restaurant. They'd only been in town for a few minutes before he forced us to drive to a Sonic so he could get his novelty drink. He's the original guzzle-gut.

This is the best group picture we have, and it makes me laugh everytime I see it. If you live in Winnipeg you know why.

Meg with my sister Angela's family.

The primary orchestrated this photo shoot before the baptism. While they were taking the pictures my dad kept making fun of me for wearing white after Labor Day, which I thought was really inappropriate.

Kaddi and Meg

Meg and her cousin Nolan pose for my favorite picture from the weekend. Why is awkward so darn cute?

2 comments:

camfox said...

Shane, Meg is so beautiful. And I loved the montage.

I just ran across Nathan's cousin's blog. His name is Russel, and he's a college professor. Poli-sci. He's brilliant, like you, and I thought you'd enjoy his perspective on things:

http://inmedias.blogspot.com/2008/09/this-country-deserves-better-class-of.html

Shaela said...

Congratulations Meg! Looks like it was a special day. I was baptized in Orem (the whole stake thing). You brought back some memories...