Thursday, April 26, 2007

WHY MY BLOG IS BETTER THAN ANNE'S: and other timely observations

Almost everyone who mantains a blog also has links to other blogs of interest in a side-column. The list is a sort of ranking system, the most important blog is listed first, the next second, and so on down the column. People can rate these blogs according to family relations, blog-quality, overall popularity....whatever. It's like the Nielsen ratings system for blogs.

You can imagine my disbelief when I visited my sister Angela's blog and noticed that 301NIB was ranked second, behind the befuddled musings of her friend Anne. So, for the last few days I've been lobbying for the number one position, creating an airtight case based on five reasons why 301NIB is better than happily-whatever-after...

1) I don't see Anne's picture on a t-shirt.

2) Does Vancouver have elephant rides, counterfeit DVD's or an international airport sinking into a swamp? Ummmm....no.

3) Cutting-edge bathroom humour.

4) 1 out of every 15 mailbag letters is from a real person.

5) Each month I hit my head in an new exotic place for the entertainment of my viewers.

Today I'm happy to announce that justice has been done, I have been moved up to the top spot. Sorry, Anne. Maybe if you'd used a little foresight and had an 'accident' during math period in grad four, it could have been yours.

I need more power
Now that the monsoon season is approaching, the electricity goes out even more often. After Kaddi got caught in the shower during an outage, I went out and bought a plastic battery-powered lantern for just such emergencies. Of course, we didn't need to use it for several weeks. During that period the lantern functioned as the kids newest playtoy. Then, last night, the electricity went out. I grabbed the lantern only to find that the batteries were dead.

It's glandular...
I've gotten tired of riding the tuk-tuks from the river-pier to the archive, they always want to argue with me about the price. I decided instead to start taking the motorcycle taxis instead. This can be tricky since Thai motorcycles are really just mopeds, and many of them are not built to carry both a driver and my rather bulky frame. When I sit down on the back of a 120 cc contraption the rear shocks completely depress, giving us both a bumpy ride.

The other day when I approached the queue of motorcycle taxis I overheard the following conversation among two drivers:

"Holy crap! That guy's huge...."

"I know. You should take him."

What do you mean I should take him? You're up - go!"

"Your bike is bigger than mine, I don't think mine will make it..."

"Great, thanks for the favor..."

I should have just knocked their two little heads together and drove there myself.

Bring some hangers, please
Right now we have about five loads of clean laundry on the couch that nobody wants to put away. Kaddi and I talked it over and we've come up with a solution. A down-home, good ol' fashioned folding-bee. We'll have a big gathering with friends and neighbors in a great big circle and fold like our pioneer ancestors. There'll be a roast pig and lots of apple pie, and maybe afterwards a square dance out back.

You're all invited.

7 comments:

Jamie said...

Thanks, I notice where my blog is located in your Nieslen rating system!

Anonymous said...

If I had a blog...
What would I have to do to get to the top of your ratings?

Kelly said...

My comments are for Jamie:
You know Shane just said those things to make himself feel good because his blog is ranked first (in blogs atleast) at both of our family's sites. I think we both know what we need to do here, Jamie. (Humble him).

Good bye #1 spot 301nib.

To Shane:
Flatter yourself all you like. Someday I'll explain MY ranking system to you. Well...there isn't one. But the truth is, I do really like your blog, and I go there all the time, so maybe I'll just leave it the way it is.

And, I must say, I'm happy to be #2. I know I can't expect to beat out flesh and blood. There is a story waiting to be told on the Schaefer family website that has the power to move them up to my spot, but I don't think it'll happen just for the sake of a rating. I can say no more, per a certain contract that is restricting me.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
m-strat said...

Jamie -

Don't look at it as being third out of three. 301NIB is extremely exclusive, it's like the 'Viper Room' of websites. There are many other blogs who would love the exposure of that third spot. If you want to move up in the rankings, make you argument...I'm listening.

music videos, self-deprecating humor, political commentary, and mission bathroom stories all make your stock go up....

Anne said...

I'm just curious... How much did that cost you to get you blog moved up??!!!

I'm not talking cash, but self respect?

I'm comforted by the fact that I was there first, and that it didn't take a campaign to get me there.

Although, we could have decided this in a gentelmanly manner.. winner take all RISK.

Anonymous said...

yeeeehaw!!! Let the laundry folding begin...I've always wanted to got to Thailand and now I've got even more reason! Rach