Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Happy Birthday, George

Many of you know me as a talented complainer. It has been a past-time that has brought meaning into my life. I can even complain about Hawaii. I complain about our apartment. I complain about coin-operated laundry. I complain about not having a car. I complain about the nearest store being an hour away.

And then comes a day when there's nothing to complain about. What's a guy to do?

Monday was just such a day. It was warm, but not hot. There was a breeze, but it wasn't windy. We packed up the chitlins and headed off to the beach Since we had Luke with us we decided to stay close to home and enjoy Hukilau.

It was a day not soon to be forgotten. Many other families were there enjoying the surf, but it was not crowded. We sat on our towels staring at the blue water as we listened to the waves. And the children played. And Luke slept.

And somewhere in the recesses of my memory rested blurred images of winter in another place and time. Bone-chilling walks home from the bus stop. Wiping condensation off the windshield with frozen hands as we returned from a friends house late at night. Trying to warm my ears after arriving at class. But those memories are worn and sun-bleached

In a few months they'll be gone.





"I think we're going to need a smaller strap"



"So, when you set your VCR to record, the television doesn't have to be on the channel you're recording..."








"No, I don't think that hat makes you look like girl"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a memory that may still be tucked away, hiding from the reaches of the Hawaiian sunshine...

it has a little bit to do with driving home from friends' houses, a little bit to do with a really big rock in the King's Mill parking lot, and little bit to do with the question, "why?"...

but I don't think you were there...you were tucked away in your warm apartment relishing in being the ones not driving home and being the winner of a little game we used to call "Make Jared Mad".

Jamie said...

I can't believe you don't miss the bitter cold and snow! Knowing you are one who loves to break records, I was sure you would be disappointed you missed Madison's record snowfall this year!

David Erickson said...

Complainer, yes. Talented...?

m-strat said...

Ah, the notorious Richmond Hill parking boulder. Scraping your bumper on that is the perfect way to finish off a stressful game of high-stakes Settlers. No amount of sun could dislodge that treasured memory from my banks.

Dave - Oh, don't think I'm not talented. I tested in the 98th percentile of complainers nationwide. I complain about not having a car even though we have one. THAT's how talented I am.

Anonymous said...

I want to know where the name George came from.

Anonymous said...

I am sooo excited to come visit!! Rach!

m-strat said...

While everyone in Canada was celebrating Family Day (or "visit Dale in jail day" as my chemistry teacher used to call it) we in the fiftieth state celebrated George Washington's birthday. It's a holiday set aside to honor the nation's Presidents...I forget what it's called though...uh, Executive day, I think.

Anonymous said...

I remember heat, I remember sunshine, soon the sun will cross the equator and we will get some of both in Canada. That picture with you holding Chubber, without a beard, you look 5 years younger and 20 lbs lighter. see you in 8.5 days. Dad