Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I don't know what you're talking about

I'm watching Mike Huckabee on CNN right now explaining how he's not dropping out of the race because the country needs a choice.

The country made its choice, Mike. And it wasn't you.

Anyway...

Today I had to send out an email to one of my classes. I have a section with only seven students in it, and none of them seem particularly excited about history. For last Thursday's discussion I had only two students show up on time and neither of them had looked at the assigned readings. So, I sent out an email to the class list explaining my expectations, and how their grades reflect participation and attendance.

A few minutes later I received an email response from one of the students which said:

"You sent this to the wrong student. I have no idea what you're talking about."

So I doubled checked my class list, and yes - in fact - this person was in my class. They hadn't attended class all semester. So I responded explaining that they were still listed on the class roster, and they might want to think about dropping the class.

Twenty minutes later, there was a knock at my door. A panicky student sat down and explained that she'd been attending another section of 202 for over a month now and handing in assignments to another instructor. Now she realized that she was actually registered in my class. We're six weeks into the semester now. It's too late for her to drop my class, and even if she could there'd be no way she could catch up with all the assignments.

*sigh*

3 comments:

Anne said...

I don't know what your problem with Huckabee is? he is such a good christian Man. for example: After graduating from a seminary he wasn't sure what exactly the mormon religion actually taught, so he asked a NYT reporter. He never paid for a negative add to be shown on TV. When asked about his reaction to Romney droping out of the race, He didn't laugh openly, he just merely pointed out that afew days ago "he(Romney) was going to continue onto the convention, but it's just another flip flop". And My personal Favorite When asked by Glen Beck why he continued to attack Romney when McCain was clearly the front runner Huckabee replied" he started it!" Glen Beck Responded"So, you did it out of revenge??! Spite??", unfortunately there was No Christian Values Answer from him.

Here is a little diddy for you! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gwqEneBKUs

Anonymous said...

Anne,
That video was great! You're my new favorite person in the whole world (sorry Shane, back to number 2 for you).

m-strat said...

That's really sweet. I'm glad my blog could bring you two together.

Anyway...

As I read this post again I'm worried that I'm re-inforcing the negative stereotype that all BYUH students are slackers. It's meant more as an example of what professors experience rather than behavior typical of all students here. Thankfully this semester my 201 sections are full of bright, motivated, energetic students. Yesterday we had a discussion of Socrates Apology and Crito that was quite good.