Sunday, February 24, 2008

I see great things in baseball

Right now Kaddi's life consists of two activities. Providing a source of food for Luke and driving Meg and Jake all over Oahu for their baseball practices and games. I'm a little worried that her demanding schedule might be leading to over-exhaustion.

When Suzi was visiting us she forgot to bring a bottle of lotion, so she asked to borrow some. Kaddi provided an extra large bottle of Dove. As Suzi rubbed it onto her hands and arms she noticed that it didn't absorb like her regular lotion at home. So she looked at the bottle and discovered it was Dove hair conditioner. Could that be a sign someone is mentally fatigued?

On the bright side, Kaddi's arm hair has never been more manageable.

Saturday we were down in Mililani for Jake's game. The weather was cooperative.

For several innings Jake was stationed at the hot corner. Of course, in this league where kids don't really hit the ball that much, they call it the lukewarm corner.

The confident batsman.

The conscientious base runner.

Due to the intensity of the Hawaiian sun an umbrella is an essential item, even when its not raining.











In fairness, Kaddi is not the only one whose decision-making can be called into question. A few weeks ago I had to drive down to Kaneohe to get some diapers. Kaddi sent me off with instructions to get 'Huggies or Pampers - the brand name doesn't really matter.' I thought: if the brand doesn't really matter then I'll buy Safeway diapers for 9.99 instead of Huggies for 23.00.

My shoddy attempt at frugality backfired. Kaddi wouldn't put Safeway diapers on the baby, and in fact they're still sitting in our room. Instead of saving thirteen dollars, I wasted ten.

4 comments:

David Erickson said...

Is there a gene that determines batting stance? I've seen that one before I think. To be sure, could you find Jake a pair of extra-tight pinstriped pants, really long stirrup socks and a cruddy polyester "Blue Jays" shirt (and have him switch hit of course)?

m-strat said...

Ah, the glory days of Strate-Erickson pitch and catch! The historic combination that brought two championships to the sleepy town of Coaldale.

On Saturday I was just telling Meg the incredible story of a victory when we were on the Angels. The tournament in Fort Macleod when I threw a wild pitch, you retrieved it and tossed it to me so I could tag out the runner trying to steal home to end the game.

Was there ever a greater sports highlight?

Anonymous said...

I think my favorite "highlite" is the Stirling game when you called a time out from the mound and walked up to Coach French and cried " I can't pitch...the suns in my eyes", how's a fella to pitch with the sun in his eye's? classic, and Coach French's response was even better, "Shane, what do you want me to do,? move the Sun"? Bawaahahahahah double classic.
I got a million of em!

David Erickson said...

Keep em coming Morg. I personally will remember umpiring, behind the plate while Shane was doing the bases. Except he's laying down (in fair territory) with his head propped up on one hand. There's a play at first and he doesn't bother to get up, just gives the 'out' sign with his free hand.