Sunday, March 09, 2008

The sea was angry that day, my friends

My parents arrived in Hawaii last week. They've been staying in a beachside bungalow and spending their days walking around Laie and enjoying the pleasures of the nearby beaches. Finally on Saturday I thought we might be ready to take it up a notch (Emeril). It was time to introduce them to the realsurf. We headed up to Sunset Beach, rented some flippers, and prepared ourselves for a confrontation with the North Shore.

The confrontation didn't last long. After Morg and I had been floundering in the water for no more than fifteen minutes or so, the ocean threw our carcasses up on the shore like two pieces of sun-burned driftwood. We had been weighed. We had been measured. And we had been found wanting.

My neck will be sore for days.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have another snowy day in Chicago *depressed sigh* AND the time change is kicking my butt! We blessed Bella yesterday, hosted a family dinner and now I'm TIRED, BUT I still smell terrific from yesterdays shower!

Julianna

Anonymous said...

I LOVED the part with Meg on the rope swing, it made me laugh soooo hard!! Im getting very excited to come and visit! two weeks! Rach

m-strat said...

A good shower makes everyone feel better. You know what they say: cleanliness is next to sanitariness.

By chance coincidence we blessed Luke yesterday as well. Then there was a baptismal confirmation. Then at the end of the meeting the ward say Aloha Hawaii to a sister who was returning to the mainland. I think the meeting took at least 90 minutes.

My favorite part of the video is when Jake is being sucked back into the swirling vortex of terror and Meg says, 'Who wants to bury me in sand?"

Kelly said...

That brought back some painful childhood memories at the beach.

I once got pinned between a giant log of driftwood rolling toward me and some angry waves who wanted nothing more than to devour me. I went for the waves, but in the end, both the log and the waves got me. I think it was the first of many times that I thought the ocean would be the end of my life.

And that is why I've stopped getting in beyond my knees. (And, I hate being cold, sticky and sandy.)

Anonymous said...

I'm done with Sergio. He treats me like a ragdoll.

...I'm gonna kick tomorrow.