Friday, March 28, 2008

Waimea Falls

On the final day of my parents visit we wanted to take full advantage of a beautiful day and head to Waimea Bay. It didn't go so well. The waves were so big that no one dared to get into the water. The trade winds came in and destroyed one of our beach umbrellas, then attempted to highjack the other. At one point I held onto Luke with one hand and our good umbrella with the other, while watching the tattered umbrella roll down the beach thinking "Hmmm...I hope that doesn't impail someone." As a final straw, Luke transformed himself into a crabby patty (with cheese) and decided to cry incessantly while not sleeping.

So we packed up our things and headed up the nearby canyon to a retreat called Waimea...something. There's nothing like a good botanical garden to salvage an otherwise disappointing day. It combined two of my favorite past-times: looking at strange plants and physical exercise. The waterfall at the end was very cool, but it was a good 3/4 mile hike to get there.

I got nature all over me.











1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It will be a sad moment indeed this summer if Jake is robbed of the opportunity to do some 'adventuring' through Glacier/Waterton with his grandfather, uncle and nephew. As his father (and guide) I hope you are preparing (mentally) for a few days of overnight hiking, climbing and fishing which may take us near 7,000 feet). Hey, if I can find it within my limited ability to put on hockey skates each winter and fall on my arse repeatedly 'all for the love of the family game' you can don a 55 lb. pack of you and your son's belongings and head off into the wild blue with the rest of this motley group. Morgan lives for it and, along with mine, he even has a new tent for the expanded group.

See you in August, Mr. Viesturs... :-P

Spencer + Nolan