Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Barbarian, Modern, Feminine


One of my favorite things about teaching history is trying to dispel the universal belief that our generation represents the apex of human development. In our World Civilization course we acknowledge how we have benefitted from discoveries made by our ancestors. We also try to uncover mentalities and problems that transcend time and culture, that are universal to the human condition.

This subject came up last week when we were discussing the Tang and Song dynasties in China. Increasing trade and wealth threatened traditional Confucian social structures, which provoked a reaction among the patriarchal order. This is the era when the practice of foot-binding became popular. Aristocratic mothers would bind the feet of their daughters, folding up the toes in the shape of a lotus. As the foot grew, the bones in the feet would actually break as they expanded. This permanently crippled the young woman.

The Chinese did this for two reasons. First, Chinese men found tiny feet very attractive. Second, if women were crippled they were not able to go out on their own. It was an sure way to make sure a woman stayed in her place - the home. Foot-binding was eradicated in China during the early twentieth century, largely due to the influence of western missionaries. Noting the reaction of shock among some of the students, I asked them if the Christians were right to eliminate foot-binding, or if this was simply another example of imperialist arrogance in altering indigenous culture to make the world more European.

At Wisconsin this would not be a provocative question. Those students are so laden with 'white guilt' that the minorities are the heroes of every narrative. Imperialist are always Caucasian males, always in a dominant position, and therefore always wrong. But at BYUH, where most of the student have yet to be indoctrinated by post-modernism and post-colonialism, there are still lots of students who still believe that western civilzation has some redeeming qualities.

Inevitably, a female student raised her hand to say that, of course the elimination of foot-binding was a positive thing. It was a male-inspired practice that crippled women solely for aesthetic purposes. Our culture may not be superior, but at least we treat women with a greater degree of equality and don't force them to suffer in order to conform to some male-inspired ideal of beauty.

This, of course, is exactly what I had hoped someone would say...

I then ask students if they are familiar with the term 'corset'. At the same time Chinese women were breaking their own feet, European and American women were cinching themselves into a painful contraption designed to narrow their waists and create the hour glass figure men found so attractive. Corsets caused physical discomfort by constricting a woman's diaphragm and making it much more difficult to inhale and exhale. There's a reason why Jane Austen characters are always fainting at an emotionally traumatic development - they can't breathe.

Even worse, scientists have determined that the tightness of a corset impeded the natural growth of a women's spinal cord. Many aristocratic women developed back problems and even scoliosis from wearing such tight-fitting apparatus. All in the pursuit of beauty.

Thankfully, corsets are no longer the style and the modern woman has been sufficiently liberated by the feminist movement that she no longer submits herself to such painful or dehabillitating procedures in order to appear attractive. Except perhaps to wear high heels, or inject collagen into her lips, or insert large sacs of saline into her body in order to...enhance...certain feminine features. I then show them slides of the evolution of the ideal female body type - from the cherub-like physique of Titian's Renaissance nudes, to the voluptuous femininity of Jane Russell during the Depression, to the stick figure Kate Moss ideal of the nineties, to the mandatory rock-hard physique of today.

The point of the discussion (I hope) is not to degrade women, but simply to point out that our culture is not so very different from the Medieval Chinese. Both societies conceive of ideal notions of beauty, and require women to engage in all sorts of bizarre rituals in order to achieve it. All of our advanced technology has not prevented us from acting out some of the same primitive behavior as our ancestors.

It is generally a very postive discussion, and a gratifying experience to watch students try to re-position themselves as their pre-conceived notions of superiority towards other cultures or eras gradually erode. For students it can be very disorienting to realize that our own ideals of beauty are not universal, and that instead of reflecting our own individual choices, these decisions are often made for us by the subtle marketing of clothing, makeup, and sporting goods manufacturers. They come away feeling a little perplexed and disoriented, and begin wondering what other assumptions they should begin questioning.

I know they feel this way because that's exactly how I felt many years ago, when my World Civ professor did this to me.

11 comments:

camfox said...

Shane, you're a pretty cool Prof. How can I sign up for one of your classes?

heathermommy said...

I think this is just an example of how the oppression of women is alive and well in the world. We can talk all we want about how "enlightened" we are but we still see women as mosly of value for their beauty or sexuality. The really sad thing is how women have bought into this whole program and sometimes whole-heartedly participate in their own opression.

I love the discussion of the different views of our post-colonial experience. Lovely!!

Kelly said...

Okay, so I admit, I buy into it. I mean, I'm guilty of it too--buying into society telling me whether or not I should be happy with how I look. Maybe not completely, but undeniably, I focus way more time and energy and worry into how I look.

For example, my plan for this morning is to go spend an hour mixing up a coloring solution and slopping it on my head in order to hide a few grey hairs. I don't know many men who spend an hour a week focused on their looks.

But, thank you Shane, because I do take comfort in the fact that you pointed out so well. I may be stupid (I'm not saying THAT is your point), for letting myself get caught up in it, but at least, historically, I'm not alone. For women, the concern over how we look is probably our greatest vice.

m-strat said...

The best part about this discourse is that I pretend to be more comfortable about my own body type.

"No, sweetie...I'm not out of shape. That's just what the coporate image makers want you to think."

By refusing to exercise, I'm exercising my individuality by NOT buying into images forced on my by Nike, Hollywood, and Abercrombie & Fitch.

But, as a man - and I think I speak for all of us - we appreciate all the effort women take to look so beautiful.

Shaela said...

Interesting... Thanks for sharing. - Also, I like the writers strike touch.

Anonymous said...

I recall writing a paper on this very subject during first year masters. Similarly, I sited the Chinese practice of foot binding, the popularity of the corset and other examples including body modifications of various indigineous tribes in Brazil and so forth. The paper was focused more on what constitutes beauty to various cultures and only partly on what societies are spoon fed. Always interesting...however, when I look back at my school work I always wonder how such mediocre writing ability ever got me a good grade.

Anonymous said...

Boys can be beautiful too

Anonymous said...

Your blog entry got me nostalgic - so I searched out the old term paper complete with paper summary and a short flash presentation I used to present the material with (circa 2001) on the same subject:

http://members.shaw.ca/spenolange3

Don't worry, you can download the .exe file just fine (that is the flash presentation file).

Also, an old paper on the Jean Marie Tjibaou Centre in New Caledonia which discusses vernacular architecture and how place and history influence design (aka regionalism) which you might appreciate (or not). Ultimately it is equally divided with tectonic precedents and means of construction for a 'New Building' course I also took in 2001.

Disclaimer: These are 6 years old, so keep that in mind should you read/wade through it all - they are complete with bibliography and cite image sources like a responsible student should.

I've cast my pearls to the swine haven't I...

m-strat said...

No, not at all. By all means - cast away. That's why I started this blog...so that people could publicize their old term papers.

*sigh*

Man, I hope that seventh comment was a woman.

Joe said...

That seventh comment sounds like something my brother would say...

while talking in his sleep!

Anonymous said...

Where did the weird baby go?