Friday, November 23, 2007

We made it chafe and sound

Last night a friend on the faculty called and invited us on his family hike to Laie Falls. A nice guesture. So, this morning Jake, Meg, and I started out on the trails through the mountains of the north shore. I was thinking this would be leisurely 1 km jaunt, something similar to Bear's hump in Waterton National park. It turned out to be 5-6 miles roundtrip. We were on the trail for four hours with sandals on our feet.

Considering the conditions (at one point it started to rain and we took shelter in a thicket of trees) the kids held up really well. It was a challenging hike with steep inclines and slipper rocks. But, we had beautiful views of the ocean and strawberry-guava berries to help pass the time. The waterfall itself was not spectacular if you're used to the Rocky Mountains, it reminded me a little more of the waterfalls we visited in Thailand - but still a pleasant place to sit and rest and enjoy the cool water.

It wasn't until we had started back that I started to feel the discomfort. It started as a mild irritant, but after a mile or so I was feeling the fire down below. Then I realized, I had forgotten to rust-proof my undercarriage that morning! I hadn't had any need for my prickly powder since we left Thailand, but here I was hiking under the mid-day sun, and I hadn't taken the proper precautions. It was an uncomfortable walk back to the car, and the chaffing thereof was great...

Jake and Meg had begun to break down well before we made it to the end, but when we got home they immediately rebounded and headed outside to play with their friends. I'm up and walking again...but slowly...gingerly.

5 comments:

Shaela said...

Must be nice to be enjoying Sun and shorts in November.

heathermommy said...

Is that Dr. Murdock? Tell him I said "Hi." Hey and sign up for my blog!!

Anonymous said...

wait... bears hump?

Joe said...

yes they do... that's how we get baby bears...

Anonymous said...

All this depends on the advice of your doctor, but say goodbye to this:

http://www.bustedtees.com/shirt/hawaii/male