Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Hawaii Addendum

The Final Hurdle?
Last night I had what I hope will be my last phone conversation with BYU-Hawaii before I leave for the islands. I had an interview with President Wheelwright, who has just taken over this summer, and who wanted to ask me a few questions before my application goes before the Board of Governors who will give final approval of my status as an University Instructor. I found him to be a surprisingly warm and engaging man. He was in the administration at Harvard for many years along with his good friend Kim Clark (now President of BYU-Idaho) and was also President of the London England mission. He mentioned that President Hinckley called him one day and said, "We'd like you to be the next President of BYU-Hawaii. Will you do that?" Bro. Wheelwright was so flustered that he responded "Are you sure?" President Hinckley just laughed and said, "We wouldn't have called you if we weren't sure."


He asked me about my family, past callings, when I would finish my PhD, and gets high marks in my estimation for being the first person to ask the thesis of my dissertation. When he asked what my wife thought of Thailand and now coming to Hawaii. I confessed that she was re-thinking her original decision to marry me - a rather cheeky response when talking with church hierarchy, perhaps. I wanted to know what kind of a reaction I'd get. Thankfully, instead of a fatherly lecture about marriage involving sacrifice and commitment he just laughed and admitted he knew exactly what I meant. On first impression, a very likable and impressive person.

The Beard
Thanks to all of you who sent emails, letters, and flowers encouraging me to grow my beard again. If its any comfort, Kaddi shares your disappointment in my new clean shaven look. It's a little disconcerting to know that she likes my appearance better when one-third of my face is covered by hair. After shaving for my original interview with Elder Jensen I've been trying to re-grow it, but once I arrive in Hawaii I'll have to shave again. I also cut my blonde locks to look more like a BYU instructor. For those of you who keep asking for a picture of the new hairless Mack Strate, I'll post something during my first week in Laie.

The Mailbag
A few answers to queries I've received over the past week...

1) My GA interview was with Elder Jay Jensen of the Seventy. I learned that he has worked for CES most of his life, and taught seminary for years in Mesa Arizona.

2) I found out this week that we will have a two-bedroom apartment on campus. It is located close to the kid's school and is supposedly in a recently constructed building. On the downside, there is very little space and no washer or dryer. Hello, coin-operated laundry. I'm not sure where I'll be living until its available. Do you think the church frowns on people tenting on the temple lawn? (I would turn my door towards the temple just like in King Benjamin's time).

2) I leave for Hawaii Sunday morning (the traditional travel day). BYU-Hawaii paid for the flights of our entire family and even allotted some money for extra baggage. Kaddi and the kids will follow when our apartment is ready in one week.

4) It's a ten month contract. I'll teach fall-winter-spring semester on a 3-4-2 classload. The Chair of the department tells me that next semester I can plan and teach my own Southeast Asian survey course, which would be a very important addition to the CV for next year's job applications.

5) My former professor and mentor Michael Murdock will pick me up from the airport. The department has agreed to provide me with a car for the first week that I am there, and we'll probably rent a car after Kaddi arrives.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

So, I suppose you can't convince BYU-H that you're keeping your beard for your re-appearance in Joseph Smith Prophet of the Restoration Part II? I thought great actors (and people with sensitive skin) could get beard cards. I'm sure you could find some sort of special exemption because you're, well, special.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Shane on the new job (I think). My vote is beardless is best - but that is just me. I mean, who we trying to be Davy Crockett?

I am looking forward to next summer already (and Morgan's plans to pay for everything). Bring on the nightly huckleberry shakes and los cabalas mexican food 'cause it will be time to hot box a grown man where he sleeps. Won't that be thanks enough?

P.S. Angela is back from summer and on the loose again (the blog is updating once again).

Anonymous said...

Doug says:

Looks like it will be "Snerdly" Strate. Sorry to see my second choice, "Muttley" didn't even make the poll.

Anonymous said...

Shane,

Check out this link where you can get everything you need to be the kind of man you want to be.

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Mans-Guide-NIVEA/lm/1PKNTDWPJ96TY/ref=cm_lmt_srch_f_2_rsrscs0/103-9464583-8401463

Joel