Friday, August 24, 2007

A Lone Man in the Garden

My singles experience ends tomorrow when I drive down to Honolulu to pick Kaddi and the kids up from the airport. I just hope I can find my way back.

A few random thoughts from my first week here in Hawaii:

- The campus here is as beautiful as everyone says The palm trees, manicured lawns, and uniformly beige buildings make it feel like you're working and living in an educational theme park. Happy Fun Learning World.

- Residences here do not have air-conditioning, and so everyone keeps their windows open all the time. This means that, in a married-student complex, you can hear everything going on in every apartment unit all the time. Babies crying, people vacuuming, hairy Tongan guy taking a shower - it's all part of my life's soundtrack. For three straight days I woke up at 7 AM when someone began blasting Gwen Stefani's Wouldn't That be Sweet? I felt like I was trapped in the movie Groundhog Day.

- I love having an office. At the end of every conversation I always close with "Well, better check in at the office." Even when I'm really heading home.

- The Cattle Egret is my new favorite bird. I've never had a favorite bird before. But Oahu has these funny looking white heron-type birds that spend all day striding across the lawns picking up bugs. I'm not sure why a gangly, white, spindly legged, awkward looking birds (with special head feathers that make it look like they have slicked-back hair) would appeal to me, but they do. Psychology is so complicated.

- Laie is a bit of a backwater town, but I've found that starting over fresh in a rural environment has its advantages. With my beard gone, hardly anyone recognizes me. I don't have to be 'on' all the time since very few people here recognize me. I can act like a normal person without having to live up to people's expectations of Mack Strate. The burden of celebrity has been lifted.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two comments:

1. Referring to your first paragraph - you are not sure you can find your way back from single life? What have you been doing this past week or two?

2. If you replaced Cattle Egret with Shane Strate, you could have been describing yourself. And you can't figure out why you like it?

3. Even so far away I can still brighten your day with a put down, sarcastic comment, or refutation.

From

Guess who?

Anonymous said...

I meant - find my way back from the airport, you rube.

Let's see...our mystery commentator is argumentative, sarcastic, far away, and as gullible as a puppydog.

Who else could it be but...

Nivea for Joel

Anonymous said...

...so anyway...
In my married student housing one could never hear me vacuuming. HELL, I was still making payments on the broom. And work a broom I could. There were however many more sounds of.. hmmmmm... how shall we put this? Other ELECTRIC noises coming from within those cinderblock walls of love!

Do we have to pay you hotel fees if we stay longer than 4 days?

m-strat said...

WyldFlowr!!!

Thanks for the oh-so-subtle hint and touching personal story about you own life's soundtrack.

What kind of question is that: would you have to pay if you stay for more than four days? You're family. (I'll make you pay for EVERY day you stay with us.)

Oh, and sorry Joel. I shouldn't have informed the entire 301NIB readership about your extreme gullibility.

Anonymous said...

Nivea for who? If you can't figure out who I am Mack, then you should change your profession - I thought you historians were good at deductive stuff.

The Mystery Insultor