Sunday, September 16, 2007

Fear of a Mack Planet

1989
the number, another summer
get down! sound of the funky drummer
music hittin' you hard 'cause I know you got soul...

I checked the blog this morning to find that my brother-in-law had posted a comment including a picture that chronicles the development of the internation superstar Mack Strate. Most people would try to cover up such episodes from their past by simply deleting this comment. I've learned from my historical study that when a scandal breaks, instead of trying to deny or stonewall you just embrace it. So, I share it with you - the 301NIB viewership.

If I remember correctly, this photo was from my grade eleven year. We took a series of pictures with Dave, Kevin and Corey (the KA crew) with the Mustang in the background. I think I drove that car a total of eleven times because it got 7 miles per gallon. By the way, I know I have a photo with all four of us in it and I will be looking to post that one in the future.

I know you are all in awe of the ensemble. Of course it all begins with the Dallas Cowboys hat, still featured on the latest Mack Strate t-shirt. The pegged pants were ahead of their time in the world of hip-hop. I really think that you'll be seeing a lot more rappers wearing their pants that way in the next year or so. My favorite part is the bling-bling. You can't really see it in the photo but I'm wearing an over-sized Mercedes symbol around my neck - the kind you take off the trunk of the car. Of course, a nice Mormon boy like me wouldn't dare steal the thing himself I just paid for one stolen by another guy. It was so big I really couldn't move without it banging against my chest and collapsin a lung. But it was cool.

When you think about it, the photo is sort of like an episode of Before They were Stars on VH1, where they take someone like George Clooney and show his role on the Facts if Life, where he has the goofy clothes and huge hair...and everyone says 'I can't believe that was him!' I know its hard to look at that photo and believe that awkward, spindly young man could transform himself into the blogging sensation Mack Strate.

Well, maybe it's not that hard...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahahahahahah- I remember when that picture was taken...hahah Rach

Anonymous said...

I remember that car, sweet Car! Kevin worked hard on restoring that stang! I have the whole posse shot if you don't. Dad

Anonymous said...

He's supposed to seventeen in that picture but he looks barely old enough to pass the sacrament.

Anonymous said...

I drove by the house on 10A street (home of the mustang) a few months ago- there was a crazy lady with no teeth sitting in a lawn chair out front.