Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Please pay your respects to His Majesty

The signs of Thailand's growing culture of conformity and fear are ever present. I just finished reading an article about a confrontation in a movie theater in Bangkok. Every theater in Thailand begins each movie by first showing a film honouring the king and accompanied by his anthem. All patrons are required to stand and pay their respects to His Majesty.

Recently an anti-coup activist attended a movie but refused to stand during the King's anthem. Other patrons shouted at him, threw popcorn and water bottles, and then physically confronted the man leading him to call the police. His assailant, in turn, promised to files charges against this man for Lese majeste. You can read the article here if you're interested.

Meanwhile we in the U.S. decry state censorship because FOX has the audacity to edit out Sally Field's rambling, incoherent dribble about the 'GD war.' This is supposed to be proof that the Right Wing controls the media? That Bush has created a police state where anyone who disagrees with his Iraq policy will be silenced?

When we go to the movies and have to a salute a portrait of W or risk getting ruffed up by some Eagle Scouts, then I'll be worried.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Personally, I believe in censorship. I try to censor Jared all the time. When we're in public and he gets carried away, I give him "the eye." You might recall me using this tactic when political discussions between the two of you would get a little heated. At home, when it's just the two of us, "the eye" doesn't work. If he starts off on something I don't want to listen to, I just give him "the silent treatment." It usually ends up with me falling asleep on my pillow and Jared saying, "Kelly? Kelly?"

Hmmm...maybe I'VE said too much. Feel free to censor me.