Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Life on the K-Side

Many of you have sent in multiple requests for Kaddi to set up her own blog. Although I haven't succeeded in convincing her to do this, she has finally agreed to make what I hope will be the first of many contributions to 301NIH.


K-Side
(not eastside, not Westside, just one women’s experience and struggles of living in a Mormon Ghetto)

I have tried to deny the fact that we indeed live in a Mormon ghetto. Shane has tried to convince me of this since the day we moved in. It wasn’t until today after seeing a few grocery carts from our local store in yards of several tenants that I realized, we do indeed live in a Mormon ghetto. Now this is a ghetto like no other. I do not fear for my children. I am not afraid that they will be approached on the swings to experiment with drugs. I’m not afraid that they will be tempted by young hooligans to spread graffiti on the walls of our buildings and I am not afraid that they will be attacked when coming back from the candy vending machine. What I am afraid of is that they will not want to seek after college degrees like their father, for they will fear that all their hard work and sacrifice might have them end up in a Mormon Ghetto. Hopefully when Jake is married with children of his own and Shane and I have purchased our very first home in Nebraska, our kids will realize that all the sacrifice and student loans are so worth it.

All joking aside I must paint the Mormon ghetto in its true light. Our kids can play outside all day and I don’t have to fear for their safety. Most of the people here are very kind and I’m sure more than willing to lend us hand if we were in need. Our kids friends are a hop, skip and jump away and there is no need to set up play dates. The kids their age are not running around with cell phones, IPODs and designer clothes, shoes etc. but are having good ole fashion outdoor fun, football games, bikes, skateboards, playing in the dirt, activities that 10 yr. olds should be engaged in. Aside from the shared Laundromat that I have to lug load after load of laundry too, aside from the non-air- conditioned apt. no dishwasher, apt. furnished to look like the inside of our church building, one bathroom, crying babies 24/7, ants , you get the picture. Aside from all of this it’s an alright, o.k. , could only do it for one year place to live.

3 comments:

Selway Family Blog said...

Kaddi,

Keep blogging! You are a natural. Som and I loved your blog. Tell Shane to come over to Poli Sci. It is much better. As you can see, we live in a semi-Mormon ghetto in Michigan, we have a washing machine and dryer in our basement, and a dishwasher. We don't have AC though. So, clearly getting a PhD in poli sci is superior to History.

Joel and Som

Mindy said...

Kaddi, I agree, you're a natural! I think you SHOULD start your own blog, then we get both sides. Glad you are seeing the positive side to things! It's just one year, right? Enjoy it while you can!

Kelly said...

Kaddi,

Maybe when you guys live in Nebraska and we are living in Wyoming (please, no, I shouldn't have even said it), anyhow, maybe we could meet up at some rest stop along I-80 and grill some hot dogs and brats and drink rootbeer shastas.

The truth of the matter is, that Jared, and I have to say that I concur, would find it hard to turn down the chance to be in the mormon ghetto's, *if* we were a hop skip and a jump away from you guys and we never had to set up play dates for Jared and Shane or you and me. It would help if there was a great spa or nice shopping near by so that we had something to do while the boys watched football and took care of the kids. But, now I'm embellishing the dream.

It really is too bad about the ants. And the laundry. I say your next post should be about turning off your Saturn.