Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Scenes from a Midterm

In my first experience as a full-time faculty member, I am learning a lot about my chosen career. I am learning that professors do quite a bit more than I though they did. I am learning that I love my office more than I've every loved any material object before. (I love it so much, I want to take it behind the...) And I'm learning that the most important part of a successful class curriculum is to write instructions so precise, so meticulous, so Byzantine, that it will hold up under a Johnny Cochrane cross examination...if he weren't dead. This is because if there is ever any possiblity of interpreting instructions wrong, the students will choose that interpretation.

Case in point: Yesterday morning I picked up my History 201 midterms from the testing center. I left explicit instructions that students were to type their essays on the available computer. I thought this would make it easier for the international students who might not have the best English handwriting. Despite these instructions, some student wrote their answers on the test sheet itself. Others chose to write on the back of pamphlet from the Housing office. Why, in the name of sweet Lou Pinella, they had these pamphlets I have no idea. So now I get to spend my time cutting throught the jungle of paper-products searching for hidden treasures of student essays.

It gets better...

To give the students a fighting chance on the essay, I give them possible questions in advance. On Friday I handed the students a review sheet that contained three possible essay questions, and informed them that only one appears on the test. This forces them to study the themes for all three essays, which is supposed to be the idea behind testing anyway. There was a question on Socratic philosophy, centralization of government in empire, and land reform. Here is the exact question that appeared on the test:

During the course, we study the problems that occur when a wealthy minority monopolizes land in any society. A ruler’s attempt to enact land reform often leads to his overthrow. Write an essay comparing three civilizations that tried to enforce reform programs and their results. Explain which program was the most successful and why.


A good World Civ essay should challenge the students the student to contrast and compare different civilizations, and cultural responses to the problems that are universal within the human experience. We've spent lots of time talking about land reform with Solon in Athens, the Gracchi brothers in Rome, and Wang Man in China. I thought it was the most obvious question, and the easiest to answer given the class lectures.

The day after the midterm I received an email from a student. Here's what it said:

Bro. Strate,

In class on Friday you told us there would be three essays on the exam, and we could choose one to write about. But when I got to the testing center there was only one essay and it wasn't the one I studied for. I wrote an essay about Socrates because that's what I studied. If I could be graded on that essay that would be very good of you. Please let me know if you would like to talk to me about this.

And this is the way I read it:

Dear Bro. Strate,

I didn't pay attention to the review sheet. I didn't listen to what you said in class. I only wanted to spend time studying for one essay, and even though it wasn't on the exam I still wrote about it. Please look past my total disregard for instructions and protocol and give me a good grade anyway.

I now enjoy the dilemma of deciding how to respond. This attitude of indifference among students, that others should compensate for their own lack of preparation, is quite maddening. The best thing I could do in this situation is send a clear signal that this type of behavior is not acceptable at a university.

If I give this person the grade they deserve - zero - they have no chance of passing the class. This failure, in turn, may result in academic probation, which could jeopardize their visa and require they return to their native country.

What would you do?

18 comments:

heathermommy said...

Oh Shane,

This sounds all too familiar and I was hoping it was just my experience since I teach at a fake university.

I feel really guilty giving students bad grades even when they deserve it. Lately I have felt pressured to lower my standards and it doesn't feel good. I don't know how to teach these students to take personal responsibility. I just feel like no one really cares about doing quality work.

Anonymous said...

I seem to recall a brother of mine who upon completion of a final exam that he needed a good grade on to pass the class, and graduate from high school - waited for all the other students to finish and leave, then walked up the the teacher and said... "I don't think I did well enough on this test to have passed your class... and if I don't pass your class, I can't graduate" to which his teacher responds "ya got $20 bucks?"

Maybe that's the route you should take...

PS - true story, but it ends with the teacher laughing, telling my brother he was just joking, passing him, and my brother getting to graduate with the rest of his class...

Anonymous said...

ahhh.....so...hmmmmm... does this mean I have a 50/50 chance of passing your class. Come on I studied one of the 3 questions...that has got to be worth at least 30%. I've prayed about it and I know you will do what in the best interest for both of us.

Anne said...

shane, I wonder if you feel like your living life over, but from a different perspective???!!!

Also thanks for the vote on the side.. never before have I ever felt that my vote counted.. I changed my vote a few times, just to feel influentual.

Anne said...

Also... what happened to the creepy bouncing baby???

Anonymous said...

You know, the problem is that you teach at a school where people address you as "Bro"

Anonymous said...

Speaking from somone who has been on academic probation...it's not that bad, and I had only myself to blame... :( Oh, and those Du Maurier lights...sooo tasty.

Anonymous said...

buwahaha....imagining that scenario always makes me laugh.

(Inhale)...well, at least I've got you, Mcduff...(exhale)...you're the only one who understand me...(inhale)...we don't need anyone else, do we boy? (exhale)....

Anonymous said...

Yes, and look at the person I am today! Thanks to that good 'ol dog- he really was the only one who understood me *sniff* So let this be a lesson. If you do fail your student there is still a chance they can make something of their life! With years of therapy and a dog who really cares.

m-strat said...

Stop using my blog to promote tobacco products and pet-centered therapy. Don't make me get out the delete button!

Anne - the countdown to Baby Snerdley is still there under the new poll. And I'm a little worried that you think a fetus floating around inside a shadowy crystal ball while sucking his thumb is 'creepy'.

There's obviously something wrong with you.

Steve Schaefer said...

Prof. Strate- have her retake the exam but tell her you may or may not switch up the essay question on her... then give her the third option that she didn't prep for or appear on the original exam.

;)

Rock Star in Madtown

Anonymous said...

Mr. Schaefer,

Why are "we" assuming that the student mentioned in the post is a female? It seems that the blog author took great care to leave the identity as ambiguous as possible.

(Go Red SoX!)

m-strat said...

Alas! Rock Star guessed right, it is a woman. (Isn't it strange how some stereotypes hold up?)

This makes it even harder to fail her. If it was a guy I wouldn't even hesitate.

But I don't think I will allow a re-take. That just means I have to come up with another exam and then grade it. More effort on my part is never the answer.

Anonymous said...

What!? doesn't the poll stand for something?

Kelly said...

I hate to be accused of inflating comments on an already highly commented post, but we were looking at your blog this morning and Katelyn had a comment (It took me a moment to figure out what she was talking about):

"Momma, I want to see the baby in the laundry."

If that's not creepy, I don't know what is.

Selway Family Blog said...

You should fail all students who did not write the essay on the computer. This would be the fairest thing to do. It would then establish that several people were incompetent, not risk the gender repurcussions inherent in this situation and yet still make a statement that they are responsible. Then, at the end of the class (don't wait until next class or they might jump off a cliff) say you are offering a makeup 24-hour essay with a maximum of a B+.

With Concern

Your Fellow Mid-West Graduate Student

Anonymous said...

What's so creepy about a fetus bouncing around a washing machine while tethered to the center by an umbelical cord? Laundry gets you clean. Who doesn't love a clean baby? I think you need to work on those hang-ups...

In the matter of the 'Socrates Student', I've made my decision. I graded the essay. I thought this the best policy for the following reasons:

1) It required the least amount of additional work from me.

2) By complying with her request I appear to be nice and can hopefully avoid future confrontations with Chairs, Deans, counselors, etc.

3) The essay on Socrates was a complete abomination and she failed anyway.

Being a professor is not always about doing the right thing, it's about three letters...

C. Y. A.

Anonymous said...

So far I'm the only one who has voted to punch them in the back of the head.... Rach