Sunday, March 04, 2007

How is Kaddi doing?

Her hot-dog has a first name, it's N-I-N-E....
Her hot-dog has a second-name it's D-O-L-L-A-R-S...

In the thousands of letters I get from fans all over the world, the most common question asked is:

"How is Kaddi doing?"

I think it's best to let Kaddi answer that question in her own words....

"So I did something very implusive and expensive. The other day at the store the employees were unloading a new shipment. It was oscar meyer products. The store does not always carry oscar meyer and when they do they are very expensive. I was very hungry at the time and really tired of the same old things to eat. We eat a lot of soup and sandwiches. So I saw the hot dog packages and impulsively bought one.

Normally this would not be a big deal but the package of 10 cost me almost $9.00 . I definitely splurged on that one. But they looked so good to me. The last hot dog I had was when we first got here. So this morning when I got up I was so excited to eat my treasured hot dogs that I ate one for breakfast. Let me tell you it was probably the best hot dog I have ever had. It tasted sooooooo good. I'm a big breakfast person and love french toast, pancakes, eggs, popovers etc. but all I could think about when I got up this morning was oscar meyer.

I don't usually splurge on food like that here because I feel too guilty but after eating that yummy scrumptious all beef dog I had no guilt what-so-ever. The kids also informed me that they were fine eating the thai hot dogs that I have been buying them. I won't touch them. After boiling them you have to peel like this layer of skin or something off. Gross. So I was double excited because now I don't have to feel guilty about not sharing my prescious hot dogs with my kids.

So that's my tale. Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did."


"You're such a tasty little hot dog! Aren't you? Yes, you are....YES YOU ARE!!!"

SIDENOTE


Monday was another of Thailand's 37 official government holidays. Since the archives were closed we decided to take the kids to see Charlotte's Web. But going to the movies is slightly different for families here in Thailand. You stand for the King's Anthem, of course. But unlike the US, Thai theaters do not concern themselves with making sure the previews are suitable for the movies target audience. That is, you don't go to see Finding Nemo in Madison and spend the first fifteen minutes watching trailers for Basic Instinct II and The Departed. Here in Bangkok that could very well happen. We had to cover both Jake and Meg's eyes during several minutes of movies featuring ghost-zombies, pole-dancing, men in drag, and people getting shot at point-blank range. Thai movies seem genuinely bizarre to me.


Thankfully, we have up-and-coming filmakers who are producing stories the whole family can enjoy. For example, the Aspend 3rd ward youth program and their production entitled The Date? If you have ten minutes and a hankering for some nostalgia, I suggest you check it out.

The film contains many powerful images of high-school life we can all identify with...sitting on a marble staircase playing guitar, the beautiful mahogany doors opening into a graffiti-less bathroom, falling alseep on the couch after school while reading the "For the Strength of Youth pamphlet...

It's like they took my teenage years and put them up on the silver screen.


No comments: