Tuesday, October 17, 2006

RAW FOOTAGE: Victory Monument as seen from the Skytrain

FOOTNOTE:

Last Sunday at church the Sacrament meeting speakers were a family who had moved to Bangkok only two months ago. They had just come from Colombia, and apparently were relieved to be in Thailand and attending a regular ward. Anti-American sentiment is currently very strong in Colombia (Farq? - Steve you would know about this) which makes it very difficult and dangerous for los gringos to assmble in large groups. They could not attend regular church in Colombia because there were no translation available and so instead they met in small groups - six or seven families. For security purposes they also frequently changed the location of their meetings. As a result, they would hold church only for two hours every two weeks. At the mention of this exciting church schedule, Jakob awoke from his sacrament slumber, looked at me and said 'Dad - did you hear that? Two hours every other week? That sounds awesome!"

This is one of those rare teaching moments that come along, where you can pull your son close to you and say:

'Yes it does, son...yes it does."

6 comments:

Kelly said...

It's nice to see your relationship with your son progress. Jake has come a long way in his ability to confide in his father...a long way from "If I said that, my dad would spank my butt."

Anonymous said...

Point #1: Victory monument is supposed to be an obelisk shape. If you look at it closely, it's actually made up of bayonets. It was built in 1941 by (Mussolini admirer) Field Marshall Phibun Songkhram to celebrate Thailand's supposed victory over the French in the Franco-Thai border war.

Point #2: I make it a point never to spank Jake in Sacrament meeting. We have a system where he builds up credits. I spank him when he really doesn't deserve it. Then when he does something like that in an public environment where I'm not willing to spank him (because I want people to think I'm a good father), I deduct a credit from his account. It's tough, but fair.

Anonymous said...

All this time I thought it was my bottom that was in danger. I am glad to here it was Jake that was the target of your fair yet harsh punishments.

Anonymous said...

"...I am going to spank your bottom!"

Steve Schaefer said...

Dear 301nib, in response to your Colombian friends I would be curious to know which part of the country they lived in. Colombia is my FAVORITE country in Latin America and I think people over-react to the anti-american sentiment there. Colombians are extremely friendly and the vistas are absolutely incredible. There are areas that are dangerous but they are generally far outside major tourist and metropolitan areas.

Anonymous said...

He worked for a large American corporation and lived in Bogota. I was very surprised at this is well since there must be a lot of American members living in Bogota. But apparently they've had incidents in the past and preferred not to take any chances by meeting as a gringo congregation at a regular meetinghouse.